Tuesday, March 30, 2010

All Dogs Go to Heaven

“Sometimes a dog comes along that really touches your life, and you can never forget her!” ~Marley and Me, by John Grogan

Koda 'Licous
April 24, 2007 - March 6, 2010

I've been putting off writing this post all month long, but I finally decided it would make me feel better if I did it. The first of this month was really hard for us because we had to say goodbye to a member of our family, Koda Bear. For the past 4 months Koda has been really sick and we couldn't figure out why. We took her to countless Dr. appointments and every x-ray showed she was fine. She continued to get worse to the point where she was dehydrated, had high fevers, and couldn't keep down food. She also was loosing a lot of blood and she had lost 40% of her weight. We had taken her into a specialist and she perked up for about a week and then took a turn for the worst. After special care, diets, Dr.'s, and IV's, we knew she was in pain and couldn't continue to live like that. So for her sake, we decided not to be selfish any longer and we said goodbye to Koda on Saturday, March 6, 2010.

The Dr.'s were so wonderful and offered to do an autopsy for us so we had some closure. It turns out it wasn't anything that had been predicted. Sadly, Koda had eaten a silicone item such as a binki or bottle top. I was sick at first, counting my binkis, wondering if I had left something out but Brett reminded me how much garbage she would find in the hills and probably found it up there. We were really surprised she couldn't pass it or that we couldn't see it in an x-ray. Dr. Fry told us you can't see silicone in x-rays and it had passed into her intestines. It got stuck there and as her body tried to fight it off and couldn't, it decided to grow around it and it affected her insides. It made us sick to think that is what happened to her, but the Dr. assured us we did the right thing and there was nothing they could have done for her. It was probably one of the hardest things we have had to do but Dr.'s were wonderful. They even mailed us a card with a personal message from everyone on the staff telling us how much they loved Koda and would miss her. Koda will be greatly missed but we know we will see her again and for now we will continue to think of the 3 wonderful years we had with her. She was more then a dog to us, she was a family member and a part of our lives. So to help us remember her, the following is many of our favorite memories with her.

The first time we saw her she was hiding under a chair, sleeping. Every time we saw her after that she was sleeping. Her syblings would be fighting over toys and barking like crazy, but she was so quiet and content. She has always been that way and loved to sleep. She was so cuddly when we would pick her up, we knew she had to be ours!

The first day we brought her home, she was so tiny! We would take her on walks around the block and she would get so tired we would have to pick her up and carry her home. She seriously had the softest ears! I will remember that forever. I loved to feel her velvet ears. Koda never barked. We couldn't even tell you what it sounded like. We heard an occasional whimper, but never a bark. I don't know how we got so lucky... but we will definitely miss that.

Koda was Brett's first dog. He is an amazing owner. Any dog would be lucky to have him! I loved watching Brett spend time with her. He could train her, play fetch, and take her on walks for hours. You could really tell how much her loved her. Brett rarely shows his emotions, but this has been hard for him and he will really miss having her around. She was his buddy. She would walk with him as he would mow the lawn or pull weeds. Any outdoor activity Brett was working on, you could always find Koda close by.

To make her feel at home, I had made her a blanket. She would pull it in and out of her dog house with her. We also gave her a giant stuffed dog. She loved it! She would curl up and sleep on it all day. I tried to open the door and get a picture of her but she would wake up, so I had to settle for a picture though the window.

When she was a puppy we brought her inside to give her, her first bath. She looked like a drowned rat. As she grew up she was way to giant to fit into our tub so Brett took her into get a professional bath. They sprayed her with a scent and for a good week if we would walk by her all you could smell was pina-colada!! We pretty much just got lazy about taking her in for baths and decided it was much more fun chasing her around the yard with a hose and soaking not only her, but Brett and myself as well. I'm sure it was quite the site for the neighborhood.

Summer 2007
Summer days were our favorite time with her. We would lay on the grass and use her as a pillow or she loved to sit right next to me. (I should really say, right on top of me!) She would lay on her belly and scootch so close to me she would be pushing me over, just so she could be close to me. When she was little I always called to her to come and lay on me... obviously, I didn't think of how big she would get and that she would still love to lay on me so much. We would also take her for long walks in the hills above us. There was nothing more peaceful then to walk with my husband, son and koda overlooking the view of the water. Brett would race her on Isaac's scooter and she would follow him. Since there was so much garbage, Brett would fill up water bottles with dirt and throw them for her to catch and bring back. Water bottles and balls were her favorite toys! It didn't matter what we bought, an old water-bottle or a golf ball would make her run forever. We also have this giant "bowl" of grass in our neighborhood. She would run from one end to the other with Brett on one side and me on the other. It is seriously a long way to run and she would do it in no time flat! She also loved to chase us around in the middle of the bowl when she was a puppy. At first, we were able to outrun her, but the more she grew we became too slow for her and she would dart right by us.

When she was younger, Isaac and I bought 2 frisbees, one for her and one for him. I should have known not to buy cheep frisbees. She loved it, chased it and chewed it right up. When Isaac saw what koda did to her frisbee, he did not want her by his. Not to mention eveytime we threw it, I was a terrible aim and it ended up in the window well! Brett spent most of the summer jumping down the window well to get kodas or Isaac's frisbee out.

Koda took forever to learn to jump up into Brett's truck. It was quite the site to see Brett try and throw this 100 pound dog into his truck! She finally learned and we were so proud! Other then that, she learned how to do things pretty quick. She even figured out how to unlatch her dog run by hitting it open with her nose so she could take off and play around the neighborhood. After that we had to put a lock on her gage. I loved when I could hold her front paws and she would stand on her hind legs. She was almost as tall as me! Not much of a dance partner though.

Koda was really strong. Nicknaming her "Bear" was no coincidence. She could pull me across the yard like I was on water-skies and she broke countless numbers of leashes. She was even really strong for Brett! Brett finally found a great way to train her and even Isaac could hold onto her. (At least he could inside... there was too much to sniff outside!) I don't know what I will do without her helping me water my plants this year. Koda loved to drink water from the hose and would come bug me until I gave her water to drink. Isaac even learned how to drink water from the hose, just like Koda! (Not the best example, but it sure was funny.)

Occasionally, we would let Koda come inside and sit with us for a bit. One night Brett got caught in a really bad snow storm and wasn't able to get home. I hate being home alone and was really nervous. I brought Koda inside to sit with me. I have to say she was such a comfort to me. Because she was such a good dog, she just laid on my lap and let me pet her. I will miss this about her most. Even when she was sick, I would sit with her, crying, wishing I could know how to help her. I loved her big green/yellow eyes... she was so gentle when you were right next to her. I remember every time I was sad, she knew it and she would put her big paw in my hand or just curl up on my lap. She was seriously the definition of, "Man's best friend."

Koda was such a joy to have around. Isaac didn't love that she would drink his pool water, but she found it very refreshing. Brett bought her this giant blue ball... it was indestructible! This was amazing to find because every ball we have ever bought her she could pop it in two seconds of sinking her teeth into it. She tried so hard to pop this ball and she could never do it. Brett would play soccer with her and she was really good at following which way Brett was trying to kick the ball. When she finally would catch it she would be so protective of it. It was great entertainment!

Koda had a best friend in the neighborhood. Three doors down was her friend, Landon. He was a Vizsla. Even though Koda doubled Landon's weight, they loved to wrestle and run together. Sadly, a few months ago Landon also got really sick and our good friends, The Jaussi's, had to say goodbye to their precious dog. I like to think now that Koda and Landon were meant to be together and they spend their days playing and wresting in Heaven.

A few weeks before we said goodbye to Koda, Isaac had given his first talk in primary. He spoke on the atonement. He memorized his talk and could recite it at any given moment. After Koda left, I was hugging Isaac telling him it would be okay. He looked at me and said, "We can all live with Heavenly Father again mom. Even animals." I'm am grateful for my sweet 3 year old who has so much faith. Even though we didn't talk about animals in his talk, he really seemed to grasp the concept that we would see her again. He told me how much he loved her and would miss her and if we were to ever get a new dog we could name her, Koda two.

Thinking of how much faith Isaac has, another time Koda had gotten away from us and was missing for about 15 minutes. Isaac immediately prayed for her and asked her to be safe and to come home. He was so pleased that prayer helped us find her that day.

Spring 2010
Isaac's been pretty curious about Heaven and has asked us a lot of questions about where Koda went. After some long talks he seemed to accept what had happened. Just to be sure, Brett asked him if he had any more questions. Isaac thought for a minute and said, "Yes. Can I have some string cheese?" I love how simple life is for kids. Isaac continues to pray for Koda and asks Heavenly Father to take care of her. I wish Daxton could have known her but I know there will be other dogs for him to love. She was the best dog. We love her and miss her so much. We are so grateful she was such a big part of our family even if it was for such a short time. We love you Koda Bear. You will be missed.

“Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day. It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them." ~ Marley and Me, by John Grogan

6 comments:

Nicole Jaussi said...

Your post made me totally cry! It was so cute though. I just know the she and Landon are playing together in heaven! :)

Brandon, McKell & Ryker said...

It is so hard to lose a dog. I get so attached to them. I was so sad when my dad told me he was going to put Sami down because she was so old and had arthritis. Koda was a beautiful dog. Sorry for your loss.

Tim & Tash said...

That was a sad post. I'm sorry that she got so sick, but at least you know she is in a better place now with no more pain. You had lots of great memories with her! Hang in there.

Amber said...

What a sweet post Ash! I know how much you guys loved Koda, and she sure knew too! Love you!

Anonymous said...

That is so sad about poor Koda, but you have written a beautiful memorial of her life with your family.

Los Alexander said...

Ahhh Ashley, what a beautiful post.
You did a great job remembering the great things Koda did for you as a family and how much she meant for you! For some people dogs are just dogs, but I know Koda was part of your family and I'm sure she knew that! :)