Monday, April 5, 2010

Isaac Isms - Crafting Corner!

Isaac has really entered the world of crafts. He has always loved to color, draw, and paint... but this is a whole new level. He's really creative and goes through paper like water! He cuts it up to make all kinds of creations such as, hats, wings, and armor... you name it, he will make it. And the tape! I've never seen him use so much tape!

He is always running to and from the study and kitchen, picking up "things" along the way to help in his newest creation. He never has time to stop and chat... occasionally he will tell me what he is using something for, but he is usually too busy thinking about his project and doesn't have the time to stop and chat.

He loves making puppets!

Everyday you can find Isaac located someplace on the floor, (I love when he plops down in the main walkway) sprawled out with crayons, stickers, glue, tape, and paper making his latest creation. It can really occupy him for hours!

And he's so proud when he's done!

Since he has discovered tape, I have really tried to learn to not "crush" his creating spirit. But he gets a little carried away to the point where he will plaster his creation to the floor! And when I say plaster, almost every inch of his paper is stuck to the floor.

And the wall. I had to draw the line somewhere. I don't mind him hanging his pictures in his room. But I can't have random pictures stuck throughout my house 3 ft high and lower. I don't even know if I would mind if being the actual picture, but he started taping crayons and pencils to the wall... really anything he could get his little hands on. That was too much for me. He's so precise in his coloring now. It's not scribbling on the paper, he draws people with big eyes or colors in specific spots... it's really quite fascinating to watch!

One day he got some crayon on the floor. I told him he would need to find a way and clean it up. His witty little self quickly licked his finger and scrubbed it along the floor and asked, "There. How 'bout this?" Gross. Nothing like a little spit n' shine! I introduced him to an old friend of mine, the magic eraser. Surprisingly, I haven't had to pull it out much since he turned 3. He thought it was so neat that it erased crayon off the floor. I was pleased and went on my way. Soon after he came and told me he needed it again. As I watched him run to clean up his mess I realized this was no "little" mark on the floor... he fully on scribbled all over my floor! I could have killed him! We had a talk that the magic eraser was for accidents only. Usually he listens. The next day, his table was scribbled on, the day after that it was his white board border. Needless to say, he got his art taken away until he could be responsible with it again. He just really REALLY liked cleaning with the magic eraser. I guess it's a blessing and a curse.

Isaac continues to be the best big brother he can be. He likes to make Daxton pictures. One day he made Dax a picture and was so excited to give it to him. Dax just looked at it. Isaac watched him carefully. (I'm really not sure what he expected him to do with it.) After some time, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, I guess you can throw up on it!" Apparently, that's what Dax does best!

Isaac reads to Dax all the time. He loves that Dax is getting older and responds to the millions of faces Isaac makes at him. Daxton actually thinks Isaac is very funny.

One day he told Dax, "We just have to teach you how to walk, we can't always carry you everywhere!"

I was trying to get some laundry done and Dax wouldn't let me put him down... but for some reason he didn't mind being put in my laundry basket. Isaac ran in and told me he didn't want me to wash him! He gets very protective when I "joke" about Daxton. When he realized it was all fun and games, he too had to jump into a laundry basket.

I wish I could record everything Isaac says to me... because he makes me laugh at things he randomly says. He has such a memory. He can recall stories from 1-2 years ago so easy and he never lets me forget anything I have said. I have to be really careful what I say now! Since I can't record it all, here are some of my favorites I do remember:

One day he was getting ready to play with a friend outside. He ran past me and I noticed his hair was pretty wet. Before I could say anything he looked at me and said, "I sprayed my hair to be cool!" The wet look is apparently the cool look for a 3 year old!

The other morning I asked Isaac to check and see if the garbage was out. (Meaning out of the garage.) He didn't get what I was saying and replied with, "You realize mom I can't reach the garage button!" How old is he?

Another day I told him we weren't painting at that particular minute and he told me he didn't love me. I said that's fine but I'll always love him. He said, " I'll always love you too. But I would love you more if you let me paint."

He is fascinated with picking "flint" from his toes. I could do without that.

Isaac always asks me, "can I hear you say girl?" Apperantly he doesn't think I can say it right. I listened close to myself and I guess I say it "gurl?" I don't know. It sounds fine to me but Isaac laughs when I say it, so after that he said, "can I hear you say yellow?" So I said yellow and asked him, "do I say that right?" He laughed and said, "Yes. Just wondering how you talk."
He then Informed me I just talk funny. He thinks I say "wurk" instead of "work." He's one to talk, he says "thar" instead of "there!"

Isaac and I bought green bananas at the store. I came home a few days later to Isaac very upset with his dad. I was informed Isaac was upset that they were eating yellow bananas when we bought green ones. I guess my explanations need to be clearer!

Isaac loves when I agree with him. If he is rattling off something we have talked about he will always follow it up with, "Right mom!?" And my response he likes to here is , "Right!" Especially if he is informing his dad that he was doing something wrong... Isaac loves to be right!

Isaac got to be the "Star Student" in preschool this past month and it really made his day! He came home so excited to tell me all about it and what he wrote down for his favorite color (of course it was blue), toy (his basketball hoop), animal (bear? Not sure where that came from) Food (Mac & Cheese), and my favorite was his favorite story was to read any of Daxton's books with him! Oh that warms my heart!


I had to come back and add this last thing Isaac said last night. He was very overtired to the point where he didn't want to listen. He had gotten in trouble and got his new "dart shooter" gun taken away. (Well, when Brett could find it again he was going to take it away.) Isaac of course cried and searched the whole house looking for it. I know, this sounds mean, so why am I writing about it? Because he ran through the house sobbing and saying, "Gun!!! Gun!!! Where are you? Come out, come out wherever you are!!! Come out before my daddy finds you!!!!" It was so comical, I had a good laugh over it. He's so dramatic somedays!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You have such darling boys! It sounds like you have so much fun.