Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dansie Family Fun Trip, 2009!

* I am putting a warning at the start of this post: I can't choose just 2 or 3 of my favorite pictures from this trip. Therefore, this post is a picture overload to help me remember this fun family trip!
I'm not sure where June went. It seemed like it came and left in a blur, yet I know we did a million things in-between! Right after we found out we were having a baby boy, we hopped in the car and headed off for our family vacation with Brett's family. First stop: St. George. 

I knew we had a lot of driving to do in the next couple of days. (I think a total of 13 hours in the car.) At my attempt to keep things fun for Isaac, I bought a lot of little gifts from the dollar store, wrapped them up, and gave him a present every now and then to open when he got tired of the car. It was fun for him, yet he did get a little obsessive about wanting to open presents! 

The first thing we did when we got to St. George was join everyone at the hotel swimming pool. Isaac was a fish and enjoyed every minute of splashing and swimming in the 2 ft. pool. 

We were lucky enough to stay at our favorite place: Brandon and Shaylah's Inn! aka: Brett's brother's home. It comes complete with fridge, toys, blow up bed, tubby time with cousin Breah, and three of our favorite people we don't see nearly enough! Thanks guys!!! 
 
The next morning we jumped in the car and headed off to our next destination: The North Rim of the Grand Canyon! 

Isaac, Brett, and Ashley at the Grand Canyon

Brett had told Isaac the first thing he needed to go hiking was a good stick. Isaac found one the minute we stepped out of the car. At one point he thought he lost it, so I picked up the nearest stick (that looked the same to me) and handed it to him. Um no. Any old stick wouldn't do. Isaac knew that was not HIS special hiking stick. Good thing Brett knew where it was because Isaac could tell the difference. This stick never left his side after that and if it did, it was stuck into my backpack poking me in the head. It even traveled home with us. It's was a special stick indeed! 

The Dansie Clan at the Grand Canyon
L-R: Squiggle, Rob, Nancy, LaMonte, Brett, Ashley, Shaylah, Breah, Brandon, Emilee, Lulu, Isaac, and Buddy

Ashley, Brett, and Isaac

Brett and Isaac overlooking the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Growing up, my family had a standard place for family vacations: Bear Lake. I loved it! And that's what I've always known. So hitting the road, hiking and going to touristy spots is a new adventure for me. When I lived in Cedar City, my uncle Rich did introduce me to a bit of canyon life, so he would be proud that I made it to another national park. The more I see of them I realize how many things around me are so breathtaking! I can't get over how when you are at the Grand Canyon in person, it looks like you are starring at this giant painted picture! It's really gorgeous!

Isaac and Daddy 
(how cute are they?!)

Lulu is such a great cousin to Isaac. I love that he has so many little pals and one in-particular who looks after him. 

My monkey in a tree!

Isaac sitting on the edge of a rock.

Brett, Isaac, and Ashley
We took several trails to different look out points and saw many different views. It was pretty windy and cloudy but still fun to be there. I actually liked going to the edge of the look out points with all the wind. It was like you were flying! (A little Titanic reference!)

The grandparents and the grandkids!
L-R: Grandma Nancy, Breah, Grandpa LaMonte, Lulu, Squiggle, Buddy & Isaac

And again: the whole gang!
Brett, LaMonte, Nancy, Brandon, Breah, Shaylah, Ashley, Squiggle, Isaac, Emilee, Lulu, Buddy, & Rob.

Some of us, (my son and my pregnant self) were getting tired after a long, adventurous day. (And I know Brett and Grandpa got a pretty good workout in carrying my 35 lb sleeping son up and down some trails!) After a while, we headed back to our cabins that Nancy and LaMonte got for everyone to stay in.

Here is our cabin we stayed in with Nancy, LaMonte, Brandon, Breah and Shaylah. They were very cozy! We slept in the top loft and everyone else was underneath. We slept pretty good but we couldn't hear every-time someone rolled over, everyone underneath could. Poor things, they could hear every movement all night long! No family secrets here, you could hear everything everyone was saying! It was a fun night!

Isaac slept quite well! I was worried about him getting cold in the night, but he's like a little heater. In the morning I couldn't find him. He had buried himself in his covers and I had to peek in a little to find him! 

The next day, we went back to St. George for some more family fun and swimming. But now I can check off my list of things to see: 
The Grand Canyon! 

No comments: