Saturday, March 14, 2009

Out Of Commission

What a crazy week this has been. I'm thankful it is coming to an end! It started by me taking Isaac to the Dr. for his SECOND chronic cough of the year. The ending results: possible asthma. We are testing that theory now. The day I took him in, Isaac got really sick with a high fever. The Dr. was trying to separate the two problems but noticed Isaac's breathing was pretty harsh, so as a precaution we had to take some chest x-rays. Last time we did x-rays with Isaac for his broken leg, it was a nightmare with a lot of tears! This time it was much more pleasant. He was pleased he got to take a picture of his chest and even more thrilled he got to sit on a little round, white stool. He was nice to the man helping him and he kept the nurse laughing when he smiled for his x-ray picture! I'm happy to report the results came back and it was nothing serious. 

He got stickers everywhere he went. This always pleases him!

Having a sick boy is never fun, having two is worse. It takes a lot to bring Brett down, but whatever sickness this was, it kept him home from work for 3 days! (And he's still not 100% better.) I remember when we were dating his apartment was always crazy with people coming in and out. He got sick and came to my house to rest while I did homework. I remember dashing to the store to get juice and soup so I could take care of my sick little patient. I wish I could say it's the exact same way after being married for 5 years (so does he!) But it hasn't worked out that way. I've found between having a child, a house, and all the responsibilities of being a parent, when one parent goes down the other one has a lot to do. Usually, this is ok... tag teaming is the greatest! Unfortunately it's not how this week went at all! 

My Two Sick Boys watching Peter Pan.

Shortly after Brett got sick, so did I. We both felt like we had been hit by a truck! Ugh, it was awful. If anyone has a secret to keeping things running smooth when BOTH parents get sick, please let me know. Isaac actually perked up for the one day Brett and I were feeling our worst and he ran the roost! By the end of the day the entire house looked like a tiny tornado blew threw. How can one little boy make that big of a mess? We waited for him to go to bed before we attempted to clean up this disaster. 

He is a sweet boy though. When Isaac felt better he was a big help to try and take care of his sick parents. He brought me juice and said, "I will share with you because you do not have your own juice." Which is true, we only buy apple juice for him. Then as he walked away, he looked back, shook his little finger at me and said, "you drink that all gone and then I will bring you some more!" What a great doctor huh?! He also made me laugh a lot. I lost my voice and it hurt to talk. Isaac was insistent on talking to me and was very annoyed I wouldn't talk back. I tried to, but not much came out. He kept looking at Brett and asking, "Why is she not talking?!" My head hurt so bad I kept looking at Brett and asking, "Why is he talking so much?"

By the end of the week I was starting to feel guilty about the lack of nutrition my family was getting for the week. (Who wants to cook when they are sick?) Fortunately I had enough Tylenol in me I made my very first batch of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles!!!! It was so easy and quite delicious! I also think it made most of us feel better! (Or so I like to think so with all of my efforts in preparing it!) Anyways, we are all perking up a bit today and are ready for a week of fun and to be outside! I'm done with being sick, we've had our share! Time for Spring? I think so! 

8 comments:

Megan said...

You mean you didn't try you "miracle" I mean mineral water???

Megan said...

I am glad everyone is better!!!

Nicole Jaussi said...

I'm so sorry you were all sick. I wish I would have known so I could have brought you dinner. Hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you've been sick, it's the pits! I'm glad you liked my soup, it sure makes me feel better when I have a cold.

Crossing my fingers that spring will actually arrive this month!

Emilee said...

I feel really lame I didn't even know you were all sick :( That is no fun; hope next week is better for all of you!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you guys are sick. We have it here too. Kadyen had croupe and now the rest of us have something else. Ya, it is totally crazy when parents are sick. Its so much harder to do anything. I'm very impressed that you cooked homemade soup with homemade noodles too! YOur superwoman! Get feeling better!

Los Alexander said...

Ahhh!!! cute little Isaac!
Yep, nothing worse than having a child sick, I can't imagine having the whole family sick :(
I hope you are feeling better. Now go and open every window and door in that house, and get all the "buggies" out:)

Mike and Leslie said...

It sounds like our house. Alex also has a chronic cough...going to the doctor again today (were there just two weeks ago & he had croup and bronchitis). I just can't get this cough to go away...I'm going to have them check him for Asthma. Did you ever find anything out with Issac? We'll have to get together and take the kids to lunch or something soon. That would be fun.