Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Careful What You Say...

On Sunday we got home from church to hear our yappy neighbor dogs run out and bark and bark and bark some more. Normally these kind of things don't phase me, but I have to admit, these dogs do this a lot in one day! Well Brett peeked out the window and casually said, "Oh! I'm going to shoot those dogs." Kidding of course! Well, that struck a cord with Isaac. He started shouting, "Let's go get our guns and shoot those dogs!" Brett thought this was funny, I didn't. So after we went round and round with Isaac he now knows we don't shoot dogs. He tells me this now and he adds, "And I WON'T shoot Koda!" 
I'm not sure where his new found obsession with guns came from. It's not like he even has a lot of guns.  He has one really lame gun that shoots sticky darts but he is always using his hands and making those "gun shooting" noises. Well today the wind was so loud and strong we can hear the high screeching of it through our window. This made Isaac crazy but he didn't get it was the wind. He ran right into the room, looked out the window and said, "I'M GOING TO SHOOT THOSE WILD BIRDS! They are making noises!" Then he continued pacing the room calling out the window, "I'm going to shoot you birds! I just need my gun!" (For my family, to me it sounds like a mini Grandpa Milt has been born!)
Next thing I knew Isaac is unlocking the front door, (another no-no we are trying to stop) toy gun in hand calling for the birds! Oh he drives me crazy!  Then seconds later he ran back in  crying that he lost his dart. I tried to explain to him (as I did several times before) that it was not birds making that noise it was the wind and now the wind took his dart! How traumatic. After a nice little chat Isaac knows we don't shoot birds or dogs, even if they make noises! Now he is listening to the "windy birds" shouting, "BIRDS! I WON'T SHOOT YOU!" Oh the things you have to teach little kids! 

6 comments:

Liz, Casey, Acacia and Josh said...

Your kid.... I think the gun and cowboy thing is firmly in the bloodlines with Brett and Grandpa. I don't delve into evil Country music, which I believe is the reason it is so dilluted in my house... Yeah, there is a correlation there.

Lyme Girl said...

Perhaps this is a sensitive issue with you because I made you apologize to the little neighbor girl when you were little. Remember how you threatened that your brother was going to shoot her stupid dog if it didn't quit chasing you when you went down the street? You were justified of course but you got me in trouble with her mom! [You were just repeating what Cord said . . . kids are like sponges!]

April said...

Don't you love it when we accidentally teach our kids something and then we suffer the consequences of having to "un-teach" them? :) Why is it that they can pick up on something so quickly, but it takes forever for them to get it out of their heads?

Janine said...

He loves guns because he IS Grandpa Milt stock + Brett..not to mention the fact that he's a boy! It's hard wired really...try a cap gun next time, with no caps...then he'll have no "dart" to lose plus they look more like cowboy guns!!

Amber said...

Funny, we have dogs that drive me nuts too! Small world! ;)

Heather Crozier said...

That cracks me up.