I've been told I had croup growing up as a child, but I don't remember... so I count this week as my first encounter with it. Thursday night we put Isaac to bed - he had NO SIGNS of being sick. In the night he woke up, sobbing. He was wheezing, gasping, and chocking... he couldn't breathe and that was so scary to us. Brett got him to calm down while I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to do. (I'm now told you can bundle them up and take them outside and the cold with take down the swelling and let them breathe or trying a hot steamy shower.) Anyways, we didn't know that... lucky for us, we rubbed Baby Vicks Vapor Rub on his chest and it settled him right down and he could breathe again. He didn't have a fever but he sounded pretty wheezy. The next morning I took him in to see Dr. Wilcox (my favorite pediatrician!) He said his lungs sounded clear but he had croup. This has been him for 4 days.... he looks miserable, huh?
Monday I had some errands I had to run, (my glasses broke during all this and since I'm blind as a bat it's hard running around in the night doing things and can't see!) so Isaac went and sat with Grandma Nancy. She was great medicine for him. She even made him muffins! He ate half of one which thrilled me cause he hadn't eatin' anything for a couple of days. He even seemed to perk up! Today he is FINALLY looking like him self again. His eyes aren't so sad. I hate when kids get sick, isn't it so frustrating when you can't do anything for them?!
3 comments:
Oh, Ashley. My kids have both had the croup and it is NOT fun! It makes nights miserable and it lasts so LONG!! I'm glad he's starting to feel better, poor guy! Luckily, we haven't had it yet this year, so I'm crossing my fingers. Give him a hug from us!
By the way, my pediatrician is a Dr. Wilcox, too. I wonder if it's the same guy? If it is, I think he's great, too!
Poor little guy, and poor you too. Sometimes I think having a sick kid is harder on the mom than the kid cuz you just feel so helpless. He's a trooper though, and I'm glad he's looking better! I don't even like to think what Breah might have had this winter if we didn't live down here!
It is so sad to have sick kids. Brooke had the croup too, a week of sleepless nights, bleh. The internet is my best friend for middle of the night and weekend illnesses! Hope he is on the mend and you can get some more sleep.
Post a Comment