We love our chocolate lab, Koda. She is so strong, weighs well over 100 pounds, and has a mind of her own. Koda has been sleeping in the garage at night because of how cold it gets. (I'm sure she would be fine outside but we feel bad for her!) I've never cared for inside dogs but every now and again I let Koda come inside for a minute, usually by the backdoor... but when I'm feeling generous I let her come sit on the floor by us and cuddle on our lap. (Thats what she did when she was a puppy, but she didn't shed as a bad then!)
She really is such a great dog but when she would have "a mind of her own" it became frustrating to Brett and I. Especially when we were playing, "chase the dog and catch her late at night!" For Christmas, Koda got Don Sullivan's Training System. It didn't come in time for Christmas but we were excited when we finally got it! Brett has been working a lot with her. She already knew her basic commands but didn't always listen. We felt she needed some "fine tuning!" Brett comes in every night telling me how great Koda is responding to this dog system. I had yet to witness it much until today.
Brett was running out the door this morning and asked me to take Koda out. I HATE doing this because she always listens to Brett better then me. Every time I think of me taking Koda out it reminds me of every disaster that's gone wrong in the past. I think of how I've been drug across the lawn, slipped on ice, her jumping on Isaac, jumping on me, (and pulling my pj pants down - and yes, that was embarrassing!) bruises from falling with her, and the worst... her getting away from me (after it had rained) and jumping on my neighbor (with muddy paws) when he was dressed nicely for work. (I'm still sorry about that Jason!) I'm more of a "watch from a distance" girl when it comes to Koda because she is just too strong for me.
So preparing for the worst, I put the collar on and started winding the leash up for me to hold and not get twisted up in. I could see it in her eyes, she started to run. Remembering what Brett has been saying to her I said, "Koda stay!" Well to my astonishment, she came back up the stairs and stayed by me. I opened the garage expecting to be drug out but I said, "wait." You know what happened? She waited! She sat there and watched the garage go up. Now I have seen this, but with Brett only. I can't believe she was listening to me! Now came the true test... walking on the icy snow out to her cage. I can't even explain what a miracle it was. She didn't pull, she stayed close by me, stopped when I stopped, and looked at me for directions! She went in her cage with no problems! It was a total miracle. There was no embarrassing moments and I went inside smiling rather then wanting to cry from being hurt or humiliated.
I know we have always had a dream to have Koda playing in the yard with us, not jumping on anyone or running away. I'm starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel!!! Well done Koda Bear!
5 comments:
Yay Koda! Does Don Sullivan say anything about how to train deaf dogs?
Hey that's awesome! Hopefully no more being pantsed by Koda!!
That's awesome Ashley. Maybe we should buy that training program. I feel your pain. Landon listens perfectly to Jason but completely ignores me. :)
That is one BIG dog!! A manly dog to say the least. I can't believe how attached you've become Ashley. She's Isaac's BIG sister!
Hey Ashley,
This is Diana! It's been a while! Since Jim's wedding. I know we exchanged emails but I'm terrible at keeping track of things! But I'm so glad I found your blog. My address is d89olson@yahoo.com. Email me and I'll invite you to our blog! Can't wait to hear from you! You little boy is soooo cute!
Post a Comment