Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Isaac Isms

I just found this picture from the summer. It was my first flower Isaac every gave me! He was so excited to run inside and give it to me, I had to snap a picture of it.  
Brett and I are always saying how fast Isaac is growing up. The older he gets, the funnier I think he is. I wish I could freeze him sometimes and not let him keep growing! Because blogging is the best way I journal, I thought I would have "Isaac Isms" to help me remember funny little things Isaac does! You can read if you want, I know its long... but they are little things I love!

I had written earlier about Isaac and how he is my back-seat driver. I have realized it has continued to get worse! The other day as Brett was driving out of our neighborhood, Isaac piped up and said, "Dad, do not go this way... you need to go the other way." (Brett wondered where he picked that up from... maybe mom shouldn't be so opinionated when dad drives?) And so it goes, now we have Isaac telling us our directions and where we should be going.  
In the mornings, Brett usually will take the car to work unless I'm driving a lot, then he will take the truck... just to save on gas.  We are always having the same morning discussion of who should take what car for the day. Isaac has caught on and felt it is his duty to tell US what car we should take. We hear, "Dad, you take the truck cause mom and I need the car today!" or, "You need to leave my car-seat mom needs the truck!" or, "Are you taking the car today dad?" It doesn't matter how he phrases it for the day... it's really funny to us! He's so small to be so bossy and informing us of what needs to happen. I guess it's good, now I don't have to remember to ask!

Isaac is my shopping partner (whether he wants to be or not) but he's a good sport about it.  If I talk to him before hand and tell him where we are going and what we are buying he is pretty good to follow that schedule.  We went to Costco the other day to get a few items I rambled off to him, we need cheese, fruit snacks, socks, and grapes.  If I stop to ask myself (out-loud) what I need in the store, Isaac is so great to repeat my list like a little parrot! 
I know he watches my every move because the other night he got a chair, climbed up to the counter with a pen and paper. He leaned over the bar and started talking out loud. "I need to buy at the store, chocolate milk, french fries, little hot dogs.... " he was really thinking hard trying to come up with HIS items and was very particular about drawing little up and down lines and circles for his letters. I thought I would play along and told him we needed cheese and to add it to his list. He quickly flipped his head over at me and said, "MOM! WE JUST BOUGHT CHESSE!" Apparently, I stand corrected! He knew what and what we didn't need at the store. 

At church on Sunday I was running around trying to talk to my Activity Day girls about a big activity we are having this week. One little girl who I never can get in touch with was there! I had to get her phone number and without thinking about it wrote her information down on my hand... I didn't have any paper handy and it really was the next best thing. I then went to pull Isaac out of nursery to run and go potty. As we were walking down the hall, holding hands... he picked up my hand and said, "Mom! You drew on your hand? That is a no no. We do not draw on our hands. You need to wash it off mom." I smiled and apologized. Glad he knows the rules. 

The power of saying "no" has changed in our house. The older Isaac gets the less he wants to be told what to do. But saying, "Don't you brush your teeth, don't you eat your peas, don't you go get dressed" has become a fun game for him and gets him to do anything. He will even ask for us to say no so he can do it! It works like a charm almost 99% of the time. The only snag I have found is when it is MY turn to brush his teeth.  I said, "don't you let me have a turn brushing your teeth." He looked at me and said, "oh that's so sad. I guess you can't have a turn." And with that he smiles and continues brushing his teeth.  Just when you think you understand your kids, they throw you for a loop! They really are smarter then what we think! 

We have locks on our doors upstairs to all the bedrooms. Isaac has learned the fun in turning these little knobs and knows they lock people out and IN! If I hear him run into his room, shut the door, and hear a little click.... I know he's going to do something he shouldn't. I'm usually right. Other times, if we aren't giving enough play time attention, he will have us come in his room, close the door, and lock it. He will tell us to then sit and play with cars! I haven't decided it knowing how to lock and unlock doors is good or bad. I was drying my hair and I heard a loud lock turn. He now knows how to open the front door! Good thing it was just grandma stopping in... but now I'm a little concerned.  

LAUNDRY DAY!

Isaac is such a big help. When I get my clothes to take to the laundry room he's so good about getting his bag and dragging it to the laundry room for me.  (He even helps me put the laundry in, pull it out, dry it and hand me clothes to hang dry!) My bags get big and heavy some weeks when I neglect my laundry. Isaac was walking behind me the other day and decided it looked like a horse. He jumped on and said, "NEEE HAAA!" (He thinks ye ha, is nee ha! I've never corrected him. I think it's cute.) Anyways, he rode on my laundry bag and had me drag him around the floor for quite sometime! He would raise his little arm up and circle it in the air and just keep saying, "NEEE HAAA! FASTER HORSEE FASTER!" 

I really hate bugs and I think I have made Isaac just as crazy.  Isaac spotted a bug in our house so he ran to me and said, "I need that!" (He was pointing to the top of the fridge to the fly swatter.) He said, "I need to Kill!" So wondering what built up aggression he had, I handed him the fly swatter and he took off on a mission.  I watched him as he hovered over something, and then he swatted at it a few times.  He started screaming and jumping up and down saying, "I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!" He ran the fly swatter over to me and there it was, a dead bug! He was so proud of himself. It's good to encourage accomplishments! I'm mostly thrilled because it's less bugs I have to kill! Yeah! 

I love that Isaac is very polite. He does really well to say please, thank you, and pretty quick to say I'm sorry on most things. (When he doesn't feel he's at fault he won't, but he will when it's any kind of accident, like spilling something.) He's very sweet and sensitive to others.  I was trying on a robe my parents bought me the other day, and Isaac noticed they had pockets. He said, "Mom! You have pockets! What are you going to put in them? I have toys, I have cars? I can share with you." I LOVE that he is so thoughtful! Anytime I am trying to do something, I usually talk out loud. If I say It's not working, or if I ever act frustrated... he quickly steps in and says, "Well maybe I can do it? Here mom, let me try!" On the other hand, like all kids he has his aggression too! My favorite is when he is watching a show. When it's over and the music comes on and all the characters are saying goodbye, Isaac will shout at the TV, "DON'T LEAVE MICKEY MOUSE! I'M MAD AT YOU!" Oh, you think they were his real friends? 

I love to watch Isaac play. I love his hugs, his thousands of kisses, (on my eyes, cheeks, and mouth) and his little voice saying,"I love you mom." I catch him singing and dancing (he loves my i pod to listen to his music and twirl around). He will burst into song at the table or just test his knowledge of his "ABCDEFG's."  I can't count for him to come to me anymore if he's in trouble, because he likes to count too! And when he does that, I can't help but laugh! He loves putting together puzzles, loves reviewing his shapes, drawing, painting, making crafts, playing with TOMATO (he means clay-dough, but I can't correct that either! Its too cute!)... you name it, he will like to do it! I love when he prays because he has learned to say so much by himself. During his prayers, he will rattle on about his day until we get him focused again. He knows how to fold his arms, but at the dinner table lately he likes to do what dad does, elbows on the table and lean on your hands... It's hard not to start laughing! 

Watching all of these little things will make me smile in the day and it makes me want to squish him and hug him because I just love him soooo much! I just wish I could express how cute his little tiny voice is when he says all of these little things I love! He is so fun and I am grateful for all these little things that happen in my day because they make every moment worth it! 2  1/2 is a great age! 

3 comments:

michellecluff said...

what a cute kid!! I love our baby boyfriends!

Stacy said...

I love it all, Ash! He is just too cute! I'm sending you an email today, and we'll figure out a time to get together!

Amber said...

I love Isaac Ism's he is such a smart little boy... just like is Aunt Amber!