Monday, July 21, 2008

Swimming Lesson #1

Today was our first mommy & me swim class! My cousin and I are in the class together with our kids who are just a few weeks apart. They are so funny together. This class runs for 8 days and everyday we learn a new skill. Today's skill was learning to put the their face in the water. I felt that it was more the parents dunking the children in the water while they came up gasping for air, but whatever they want to call it works for me. We crouched down so we were close to the water, we counted and bounced saying, 1... 2.... 3...! Then we would blow in their face and dunk them under water and then bring them back up. The example child did very well, so did the other children. As a matter of fact, Isaac was the only one who came up out of the water gasping for air and screaming and crying. Talk about feeling like a terrible mother! I just drowned my son on purpose! We tried again one more time and the same thing happened. The rest of the time we played and kicked our legs in the lazy river. He loved that. One time his face got dunked in the water on accident and he came up a little shocked but seemed fine and no crying... I guess crying just comes when the fear of your parents dunking you under the water takes place! The other thing Isaac loved to do is wait for Emma to come down the lazy river. Then they would stand on the wall together, count, and jump in the water! They are so cute. He also enjoyed that his two cousins have swimming lessons right before him so they stayed and watched him swim! He does enjoy attention! 
We went to my mom's after and I gave Isaac a tubby to get off the chlorine. He started playing with a baby in the tub. It was at this moment I realized what I had done to my son today. He took the baby in his hands, bounced her, counted 1...2...3... and then SPLASH! He chucked her hard into the water. As he lifted her up he looked at me and said, "she no like water in her eyes mom. Wipe them out!" At least he's learning! Oh, I can't wait for the next lesson! 

1 comment:

Emilee said...

I will attest that Isaac was a cutie in the pool, and he was the only child that cried--I was surprised! We had fun watching him today & even took a couple videos & some pictures (when he was in the lazy river & happy)