Brett and I have been staying at my cousins while they are out of town. We have been watching their two boys. They are older so the house isn't very baby proof and we have done our best to keep Isaac out of things. Well yesterday morning he jumped out of bed and started running around the bed. Time for me to get up! Within seconds he got really quite, which we all know that means hes doing something he shouldn't. So I jumped off the bed and found Isaac with a 1/2 of a green tablet in his hand... looks like he bit it. I was concerned cause I had no idea what this pill was, he had found it under the bed. I reached farther back and found some more pieces of it. I talked to Isaac and asked him if he ate it. Of course, he said yes. He says yes to everything! I checked his mouth and tried smelling it but was very unsure if he really ate some or not. I tasted the pill to see if I knew what it was, it was sweet but I was still concerned. I searched drawers trying to find a match to what this pill may be.
After searching and having no success, I jumped online and found the pill identification site. There was a number on this tablet, but sadly I was missing the other 1/2. I called poison control and tried to talk to them but they can't diagnose pills over the phone. But he insisted that I take him to the ER because even a bit of a small pill can hurt a child. (Which didn't make me feel any better) He also told me that I could take it into a pharmacy and together they could figure out what it could be.
So I grabbed Isaac and the pill and drove to find a pharmacy. The guy there was very nice but couldn't identify the pill. He talked with poison control and after a while they found 2 matches. One was an antacid and the other a harmful drug. But not knowing the other 1/2 of the number they both suggested I shouldn't take any chances. I was trying to be calm (but I so wasn't!) Isaac was acting fine and I really wanted to talk to Brett... but as luck would have it my stupid cell phone wasn't working. I couldn't get a hold of anyone! (It works fine today. I'm not sure what was the deal yesterday!)
Anyways, I decided to be safe then sorry and took Isaac into the ER. They were very kind to him and did all kinds of little tests, gave him a bear, coloring book, and crayons. (Do you think that is what you pay for?) Well he did great up until the part where we sat in a room for over an hour, he was tired, hungry, and wanted to leave. So did I. After searching through lots of pills they came to the conclusion that they were almost positive it was an antacid. (Tums!)
As I drove home feeling better he was fine I decided to search the house again. In the very back of the bedside drawer there was a bottle I didn't see before - green tums, with the same number. I felt relieved that I knew what it was but sick that I went though all that for just a tums.
It was a very long day and it didn't end there. Other crazy thing kept happening and being in a house thats not your own, can really make your mind go nuts! I'm just glad its over and I can put the past behind me! Being a mom can be so exhausting some days. I never thought I could be so scared.
4 comments:
I'm sorry Ash. That is scary. I'm glad that you took him to the hospital just to be safe. Yes, all those extras are what you pay for! Just don't ask for diapers...they double your bill! :)
Ahh
I am sorry. That sucks. It is always better to be safe than sorry. I know how it is to not have your own house though. It is hard when things are not baby proofed. I am glad that everything was okay.
How scary! I am so glad that he is ok! When your child is in danger for any reason it is so scary!!!
Ash! Holy cow! That is scary! I am so glad Isaac is fine. You are a great mom!!
Post a Comment