Thursday, June 21, 2012

Star Wars Birthday Party!

This birthday I feel I have gotten a little carried away with life. But it was fun and you only turn 6 once, right? Isaac wanted a birthday party and I only do them every other year. (Even birthdays.) He had talked and talked about a football birthday. Easy. Then he threw me for a loop. He'd been hanging out around my sister Liz and her family and fell in love with Star Wars. (Something Brett and I know NOTHING about.) Isaac watched the movies, 4, 5, and 6. I couldn't believe it. He asked Liz questions, he understood the movies and stayed awake!!! Wow. Impressive in my book. So with Liz's help (after all, this was inspired by her!) we put together a fun Star Wars Birthday Party!!! 
So, in a land far far away.... Liz made this darling invite for me. I wouldn't have know what a "padwan" was, but now I do.
Rach, Liz and I decorated the house with streamers and balloons. The front door said, "Welcome to Jedi Training." - complete with a Yoda picture. We were having a Jedi Training so these young Padawan's could learn the ways of the force and become official Jedi's. All very exciting.
I had made each child (16 boys... I got so carried away! 2 of which were mine though) a light saber. I took a 1/2 of a foam noodle and wrapped it with black and silver duct tape. Some were green and some were blue swords. They came in and had to decorate their light saber to make it their own. They decorated it with vinyl lettering that had their name and different shapes of buttons.

The first game was that they had to learn to use their light saber properly. We had Star Wars music and they had to keep balloons in the air with their light sabers, if the balloon dropped they had to sit down.

The second game was that they had to unfreeze Hon Solo. Apparently, Hon Solo owed money to Jabba the Hutt (and if I get any of this wrong, pretend I didn't cause it was a lot for me to learn it all!) Anyways, he froze him. So, we had two teams and I had pre-froze 2 Hon Solos. They had to take a cup of hot water and have a relay race to unfreeze Hon. It was a blast and the kids had fun.
The 3rd game was kind of impressive for me! Isaac has always wanted a pinata. I think they are ridiculously expensive. But that's what my son wanted, so we made a death star. Now I wish I could say it turned out perfect... or perfectly round for that matter... it didn't.  But it still was awesome! Especially for making my FIRST EVER pinata. Isaac and I got a punching bag balloon, a mixture of water and flour, dipped newspaper in it and covered the pinata. It was working so well until my 3rd time. Then it started getting heavy... so my round circle wasn't so round. When it dried it was more crater looking. Liz and I fixed that... we stuffed the outside with napkins and duct tape. We sprayed it with silver spray paint and sponged it to make it look like the death star. We were pretty thrilled with ourselves.

It lasted pretty good too. After the first few hits, sadly it dropped like a rock, the hanger wasn't strong enough. Liz jumped into action, taped it with packing tape, hooked it back together and were as good as new! Every kid got to hit twice and went through everyone two times before it was totally destroyed!
I got a kick out of Isaac when he found the biggest chunk of the death star and put it on his head. He's so cute!
Isaac has so many nice friends and he got so many fun presents! He got a giant drawing pad, a talking yoda, 2 light up light sabers, guns, legos....
Pod guys, water guns and sprinklers, more legos, money and more!
 Thank you all cute friends! He was having a blast!
 I made a Star Wars cake. Isaac picked out the little people to go on top. I made a death star out of rice krispie treats to go on top. I attempted marshmallow fondant. It would have worked better if I wouldn't have had to mess with the color so much! Oh well, it was more of a green looking death star, still cute and edible though. Isaac chose a funfetti cake inside! I've never made one of those. It was fun! Then we had ice cream and the kids had their choice of Vader Juice (root beer) or Yoda Soda (Sprite). It was a big hit!
All the kids had fun. They went home with their training badge - showing they were now a Jedi, their sword and a little goodie bag of pinata candy. Phew. I'm exhausted all over again just thinking about it! May the force be with you!!! (That's really the only line I know from Star Wars!)

No comments: