Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Isaac's 1st Day of Kindergarten!

We have known for forever that the day was coming, we had months to prepare, and today that day came... Isaac's first day of Kindergarten! He met his teacher, Mrs. Jeppson last week and he thought she was so nice. (Which I hear is true, everyone loves her.) Last night he was a tiny bit nervous, but you could tell he was excited and ready to go! I had planned in my head all week we were going to walk to school and that would be it. I was good. Ready to send my first baby off to the big school. I knew I wasn't going to cry.

An hour before we left, my friend Tineka called me with the best idea (in her mind, not mine!) to let the boys ride their bike to school. I was speechless! I had nothing to say to that. I had visions of Isaac getting hit. No! He's so little! She continued talking and told me she was picking up a bike lock and the boys could go together and we could follow them. WHAT? This was all moving too fast for me. I'm a planner. I had a plan and I can't stray from that! But okay, he wanted to ride and I was following him, so it would be fine. I was good. Or so I thought.
As we approached the first crosswalk, the crossing lady, Amy (the boys referred to her as Ames - they were pals apparently!) She said, "Oh your so big! How fun your going to Kindergarten! Now make sure you get off your bike and walk it across the street." She said nothing profound or out of the ordinary, but right there it hit me. My eyes filled with tears and there was a lump in my throat. My baby was growing up. Walking his bike across the big street, to the big school. I was so glad I was wearing sunglasses! Nobody would know. Before I could gather my self together, crossing guard Amy said, "Is he your first?" I said yes. And then she said the worst thing she could say, "are you going to cry?!" Yes! I already am!!! Then a proceeded to sob under my sunglasses. I was so grateful my friend walked up and threw her arm around me. Our boys were off on their bikes and we could sob and pull ourselves together walking up to the school. I'm a typical first time mom!
But seriously?! Doesn't he look so big?! Brett always said he rode his bike to Kindergarten and I thought, no way would I let my kid do that. And on the first day of Kindergarten, what is my son doing? Riding his bike. Oh I hate eating my own words!
Treven and Isaac looked so big! It's crazy to think back a few years ago when they had their first play date at my house. Now they are little buddies going to school together!
Isaac played on the playground getting use to the chaos happening around him. It was a lot to soak in.
I don't blame him. There was a lot of people! I felt like all of us parents couldn't part from our kids. It's like we were visiting the zoo, starring in over the gate at our cute kiddos.
He did find a few of his friends. Pheeww. Thats always a relief! His buddy Jake down the street, his friend Zach who he went to preschool with (he was so glad they were in the same class) and Thomas, another friend from the neighborhood and preschool. It's so fun they are all going together. I ran into a mom from preschool, Jessica's mom. She told me Jessica was looking for Isaac and excited to see him. Then she smiled at me and said, (like I was suppose to know) "you know, because she had a crush on Isaac last year." What?! No no, I didn't know that!  I smiled and said, "oh!" What else can one say?
And that was it. The bell rang, the teachers called the students in and they lined up and went to class. When I came to get him, he was happy and had a great day. There were a lot of kids, busses, and craziness but Tanna (Trev's sister) was right there, ready to get the boys. She is so willing to get him, I'm still a bit protective about letting him go home with anyone. He went to his bike and rode home. I was excited to talk to him. His favorite part of the day was recess. Such a boy! He liked having a special blue hook for his bag to hang on. He said his legs hurt from sitting at rug time too long. He found our what the "steps" were for in the classroom - reading books and he liked that there were cups on the table filled with pencils and crayons, though you aren't suppose to mix them up! At recess, the swings were really high up and a little girl who knew his name, but he couldn't remember her's showed him a good way of climbing up the swing. He told me,"that little girl who helped me mom, she was really nice." I had to ask him a million questions to even get that much information out of him. He was too distracted with his new bike lock.

Brett helped him learn how to do his bike lock tonight and he has been practicing over and over. I went outside and saw his bike chained to the stop sign pole. What? He was up the street playing. In the meantime a little girl walked past his bike while walking her dog. The dog stopped at the stop sign (as dogs do) and they waited there for a minute. I didn't think much of this. Isaac on the other hand came running down the street and said, "MOM! Did you see that? My bike lock worked! Someone tried to steal it." I said, "who?!" He continued with his story, "It was a little girl and she was walking her dog and she sat there trying to steal my bike, but she couldn't. My lock works!" We will sleep much better tonight knowing his bike is safe from the dog walking girl.

It has been a long day. He was very tired and ready for bed. (and so am I!) I hope tomorrow is just as good. (and less tears!)

2 comments:

Amber said...

Oh my goodness! How is he old enough to ride his bike to school! Such a good story and a happy first day. I wish I could have walked behind him with you. Big hugs Ash!

Love you!

Amber said...

I'm so behind on your blog! Can't believe Isaac is in kindergarten. I feel like Sam will never be there, but it'll be here before I know it. Hope he's loving it!