Tuesday, February 8, 2011

RSV = Worst Sickness Ever!

Even though we have only been parents for 4 short years, when you add up the illness we've encountered with our kids, it can make those 4 years seem much longer! (No wonder why people start going gray at an early age!) Brett and I thought about things we have conquered with our kids: 2 broken bones, mysterious rashes, flu, throwing up, potty training, asmatha, pneumonia, and croup... but all those seem "fixable." There is SOMETHING you can do for each of them. Well Dax took the cake this weekend. He got RSV. I have never felt so helpless in my life!
When Isaac was little and he would get sick, I remember Dr. Wilcox always telling me to look for breathing signs. The main one, their stomach under their ribs would cave in. I looked and I was always paranoid, asking, do you think his stomach is caving in? But no. I now know what that looks like and I REALLY, REALLY don't want to see it again. Daxy woke up in the night breathing so hard and couldn't catch his breath. It didn't matter what we did, nothing seemed to help. He cried and cried for at least a 1/2 hour straight. (He did stop for about 10 seconds at 5 in the morning to throw the ball in the basketball hoop) But even then, that wasn't enough to distract him. He would just shake his head and fall against us, crying. It was terrible. Brett finally discovered opening and closing the blinds to play peek-a-boo got Dax to calm down a bit. Brett took  him to the after hours clinic and sure enough, RSV. They sent him on his way with a breathing treatment prescription if things got worse. Hoping it wouldn't get worse and praying he wouldn't be hospitalized, I'm truly grateful for a few things in my life:

#1. Brett and The Priesthood. I don't know what I would do without a my husband who honors his priesthood. He gave such a calming blessing to our baby boy and it brought so much comfort to me.

#2. My parents and their herbal vu-du. Since there is not much you can do for RSV, I am grateful I can feel like I'm doing something by using oils, garlic, and a diffuser. (oh and saline spray!) DoTerra's Breathe oil was so calming to little Daxton and helped him breathe better. And of course, my wonderful parents had every oil I needed!

#3. My in-laws. They live 20 minutes away and they are always there to help us at a moments notice. The day Daxton wasn't feeling his greatest we also had scheduled a party with all of Bretts old high-school friends, spouses, and children... and it was at our house. We had been planning it for 3 weeks, everything was cooking, and the party was in 4 hours. So do we cancel? Dax couldn't be around anyone, especially the babies. Brett's parents came to our rescue and picked up Daxton for a few hours and took such good care of him for us. I am so grateful for their willingness to always help us. 

Daxton slept much better through the night. He is still breathing loudly but his stomach isn't caving in like a sunken birthday cake. Hopefully we can get rid of this yucky sickness and hope for good weather to come soon! I think Daxton has been sick since New Year's. Starting with the flu, then he would get better. Then pneumonia, then he would get better. And now, RSV.... so here's to hoping to get better and stay better!
Both boys were sick at the same time earlier this month. So nice to have little couches! They kept keep each other company.

2 comments:

Misty said...

That's so sad! I'm sorry you've had so much sickness. Do you usually check on your kids when they wake up in the night? That scares me, because we don't. We just let her cry herself back to sleep.. otherwise, she'll but up the rest of the night. Sheesh! Now I am going to worry if she cries in the night. I hope he is feeling better by now!

Anonymous said...

Poor little Dax. I hope he's well soon. We are all ready for spring, aren't we?!