In the Fall of 2007, I slipped down the stairs outside while I was holding Isaac. Unfortunately his leg was behind me and it helped brake our fall. Sadly, it broke his leg too. I swore to Brett after that my son would not get broken again!
Umm, I've been proven wrong.
This is Isaac in his splint-cast this morning before we went to the doctor. He looks happy, but Sunday night was a totally different story!
We were making dinner and Isaac was jumping all over the couch and falling onto it backwards. We kept telling him not to, but before we knew it Isaac jumped up and over the couch (or he fell over, we aren't for sure) and came crashing to the ground. What a horrible feeling to see your son going to crash and can't stop it! He cried a lot while he was holding onto his wrist. Nothing seemed to help, not even the little band-aid he requested that we put on it. (Shocker! That usually makes everything feel better.) Brett started to examine him. He couldn't wave, move his wrist, or hold anything without bursting into tears. And then it started to swell. After a couple hours of this and a call to the on-call nurse, we were instructed to take him to the emergency room. (Cause of course, this happened on a weekend!)
Brett and I both hate the ER. As they showed us into our little curtain closed room, with the lady next to us who obviously had a lot of issues... Isaac looked around the plain, white, sterol room and asked, "Where are the dinosaurs?" Maybe the ER needs to take a lesson from the pediatricians office! We waited and waited. Nurses came in and out getting into cupboards. One even ruffled Isaac's hair and padded his back on the way out... which did not set well with Isaac. He didn't know her and voiced his opinion when she left that she shouldn't touch him! Finally, they came in to x-ray his arm. They found a buckle fracture, which is a fancy way of saying, "it's like someone bent his bone." In the end, Isaac had broken his wrist.
This is the inner-lining of the cast. It looks like bubble wrap - and it makes his cast waterproof! I can't ask for anything better then that! I love that he can bathe, swim and do anything he still wants to.
Dr. Wilcox told us buckle fractures are very common and they heal quickly. He even said that if I could promise my son would be super careful, I wouldn't have to get a cast at all! He then laughed and proceeded with putting on the cast. His prediction is, this won't be the last cast he puts on Isaac. I really hope to prove him wrong!
Isaac has to leave his cast on for 4 weeks. He's actually quite happy with it and thinks it is VERY COOL! I'll probably have to let him have people sign it to make it that much more cool. Here's to hoping for no more broken bones!
6 comments:
Oh the joys of boys!!! The are rough and tumble on the outside but sweet and soft on the inside. Justin and Ryan have both been introduced to the cast system. I'm knocking on wood that we won't be having any more, but with 4 sons, who knows!
Poor kid, if only his parents didn't beat him so much. Brandon was surprised that he has another broken bone, I just told him boys are a little more adventurous than our mellow little Breah who won't step down a 2 inch drop at the park. I do have to say though, casts are very cool. I always wanted one when was a kid.
Oh as sad as his little wrist is, he sure is a cutie with it! I totally feel your pain with everything only happening on the weekends! Why is that? Good luck and yay for water proof!!
Oh poor Isaac. I'm glad he likes his cast though. We have had A LOT of stitches but no broken bones yet. Shocker, I know. :)
He's a boy for sure! I think the orange cast is swanky--and it will help him stand out in a crowd if, say, he wanders off in the grocery store or something!
oh poor guy? I hope he gets feeling better and quick!
Post a Comment