Monday, July 27, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

My family had a garden growing up. I remember picking peppers with my dad, munching on them fresh from the garden, shucking the corn and screaming when a bug would wiggle out but I don't remember having to do much of the actual "gardening." (Maybe because I'm one of the youngest?) I begged Brett this year to let me have my first garden... I was ready to do it by myself! Brett was hesitant because he gardened a lot growing up and would be content with never having to do it again. Well, I won and I got my "starter garden" with the promise that I would take care of it. If it goes well, I can have another one next year. 

I got it planted back in May, but I am very impatient. I just couldn't see how these little seeds were going to turn into anything! Brett kept mocking me telling me I needed to have faith and nourish my garden... just like my testimony. Nice! Alright, so I watered and watched, watered some more and got excited when little leaves started to sprout! I am so surprised how fast it's grown and how out of control I think some of my plants are! 

Isaac with my growing spaghetti squash!

I planted: A cherry tomato, a pear tomato (which is growing every which way), 2 kinds of cucumbers (one called an Armenian cucumber that grows upward and are so tasty according to my brother), a butternut squash (which I have yet to see blossoms on), 2 spaghetti squashes (which are growing so giant and currently have 3 big light-bulb sized squashes on them!) 2 zucchini plants that are taking over (but I have already picked 4 and getting more!) And lastly, some baby cantaloupe which recently got their blossoms! (I'm just hoping my zucchini won't squish them!)

I was so proud of my 1st cherry tomato that finally turned red! I showed it to Isaac and he was so thrilled he said, "please mom, can I eat your first red tomato?" Sure, I would love him to have the first taste!!! He bit into it, his face turned disgusted, and he opened his mouth and spit out my very first produce from my garden! So much for that. But I have gotten a few more since them, and if you like cherry tomatoes they are quite delicious! 

Today we went out and I had 5 pear tomatoes waiting to be picked!

And here are my zucchini! This is # 3 and 4 with more on the way! (I better get going on my zucchini recipes! If you know of any, pass them my way!)

So I guess I can garden, huh?! Umm, ok I have a little confession. If it wasn't for my sweet husband who has gardening ingrained in him, there is a chance my garden would be more dead then flourishing. I have good intentions, I just hate to go take care of them when it's hot and I'm pregnant and hot, not to mention I really hate the bugs that fly out of the plants. I probably would have done it, but every-time Brett goes out with Koda he would water and check on my plants... so I guess I got lazy. I love him though and I am grateful he can't let something just die because he knows better then that! He must really love me!

On another note, my son is also getting plenty of water this summer! He can't stay away from it. If the hose turns on, he's running through it. It's fun that he's all boy!
  
Run, run, run as fast as you can.
 
He doesn't even need his swim suit! Maybe the water will make him sprout up like our garden!

2 comments:

Christie said...

I loved this post about your garden! I too have my first garden this year. I have lots of Zucchini recipes! Zucchini bread, Zucchini cake, Zucchini casserole, yummy! I think I'll try to get them posted on my blog here within the next few days...

Janine said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad that your garden is working out! Just remember we're always good for a back up! We've got garden coming out our ears!!