Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I'm A Big Kid Now!!!

My little boy is growing up so fast! I can't believe in less then 2 months he will be 3!!! He is very independent and LOVES being able to do things for himself. If I try to help him he will often respond with, "I can do it myself!" He likes to do things for himself, getting dressed, brushing his teeth, (we do have a rule on that, Mom always gets one turn!) And now, he's running out the door daily to play with his friends, not even taking the time to say goodbye to his mom. I'm sure I have typical "first-time-mother syndrome," all the same, I feel like he is growing up so quickly! That being said, there is a plus to this growing up thing!

Back when Isaac was potty training, Brett and I promised him a big boy bed if he could learn to stay dry at night, wearing big boy underwear. He learned to stay dry at night long ago but struggled making the switch from night underwear to normal underwear. One day he just decided that's what he wanted and he's never looked back! So, a promise is a promise and Isaac got his big boy bed! This bed has been a blessing and if I would have known the power it held, I would have done it long ago!!!  

Isaac sitting happily in his new big boy bed!

Isaac picked out a sports bed with sports sheets. He really is in heaven every time he crawls up on it. Now I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but when Isaac was a baby I NEVER wanted to put him down, not even to sleep. People warned me (and yes, you should always listen to your mother!) but it was my first baby who I just couldn't bare to put down. When he was about 8 months old, I tried but he would cry so hard he would throw up. So I gave up and kept on holding him. Well I've been paying for that for almost 3 years! Brett and I have had to hold this little boy practically every night before he drifts off to sleep, pathetic! I know. Why didn't we try reading all the sleeping expert books and do the amazing techniques? We did. It didn't get us far. Brett and I would end up for hours on Isaac's floor, uncomfortable and with a child who was still awake! Once we thought we were getting the hang of it, and then he got sick. It was never the same after that and we just got used to holding our little bundle of joy, who kept growing and now who is huge! I was getting sick of it and really getting sick of him wandering into our bedroom in the middle of the night wondering where we were. He is not the most comfortable person to sleep next too. He kicks, twists, steals your pillow and takes over the whole bed. 

Dad and Isaac working on Isaac's bed time routine!

Stipulations were made before getting Isaac a bed. He became well prepped on his new rules if he got a big boy bed. 
1. He HAD to fall asleep in his bed without mommy or daddy in the room. (This includes no more holding mommy's hair to fall asleep! - Hallelujah!) 
2. He had to sleep in his bed all night and not come in our room. 
3. No more milk. He never had to have a lot and he would rarely drink it, but it was a comfort item to him. I still let him have a cup of water though. 

None of these new rules phased Isaac and he has accepted them all! Actually he was happy to welcome them! Now I am happy to say that Isaac has a normal bedtime without us fighting him to close his eyes and go sleep. 

Oh, It's a beautiful site isn't it?

Isaac has a better night time routine now. He bathes, brushes, gets dressed, reads books, slides into bed, we put his stuffed animals all around him, turn on his lullabies and kiss him goodnight! And you know what? He goes to sleep! Yes! Brett and I have time to ourselves after 8:30. We haven't had Isaac crying to come out of his room. He just goes to sleep and stays there all night! He loves his bed and tells me everyday how much he loves it! It's the best thing that has ever happened to us! Our little boy really is growing up! (And we are too, are next one will have such different sleeping habits!) Yeah for big boy beds!

8 comments:

Stacy said...

Yay for alone time after the kids go to bed!! Emma's been pushing her bedtime lately, and I miss having time to decompress. It's so nice to have, though, so we're working to get it back! Congratulations to everyone!

jackie said...

Oh my Ashley! We have the same exact problem except we got Kenna a bed a long time ago and it's not an exciting thing for her anymore. She thinks she has to sleep in her "princess" bed(travel bed)in our room. Every night she says "i'll sleep in my Dora bed tomorrow." I'm glad things are working out for you! I have no idea what to do for our child. She is determined not to sleep in her own room and she has to have her milk every night!!! I guess we need to be better parents and just be strong!

Heather Crozier said...

That's great! I love when things like that happen. What a relief for you.

The Dansies said...

Yay! What a big boy! I'm so proud of him going to sleep all by himself! Give him big kisses from Aunt Shay and cousin Breah (who is at this moment singing her own lullabies trying to go to sleep). We are starting earlier with our next one too! But you know the saying, the first child is the practice child...

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!! That is so exciting!!! I love his bed! So cute!

Liz, Casey, Acacia and Josh said...

What a cute boy, tell him i love his bed! I didn't know you were a fan on Jack Johnson.... Finally something I can listen to, normally I mute the country!

Tim & Tash said...

I love the time at night after the kiddos go to bed! Of course that is about to change for us.... It's been so long since we've had a baby. I'm glad that Isaac is sleeping good for you in his Big Boy Bed.

Kris and Nat said...

Congrats! I was so excited when Cooper started sleeping through the night. I guess I was a meanie mom. I always hum some where over the rainbow and then give him kisses and walk out. Its so nice.