Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Apricot Jam!

My mother-in-law said, "there is nothing prettier in a jar then bottled fruit." I have to agree with her! In the summer months we always make Strawberry and Raspberry freezer jam but this year I asked Nancy to teach me how to make cooked apricot jam. It's so yummy!!! There is nothing more satisfying to me then to bottle my own something to put on my little food storage shelf. Hopefully, I will continue to do that this year and bottle some peaches and pears! This homemaking stuff is actually really fun to me!
Also, I'm excited to say... I'm finally getting my food storage going. It is so overwhelming to me to think of. And yes, I have a few things of this and that, backpacks, small stove, and thanks to my dad... my 55 gal. water drum! But I've never had a good plan. So Nancy helped me with 7 meals I make, we broke that down into what I needed to buy if I were to make that meal twice a month for 3 months. Then once I get that down, I will add another 7 meals to it and so on. My goal is to have a nicely lined shelf with a little clip board with all my recipes on it. Then I will have a check list for when I take something, I can mark it so when a case lot sell comes around, I can restock! Now, I am sure some of you are experts when it comes to this subject... so if you have any advice or great recipes to help me get going, let me know! I am open to any suggestions!

1 comment:

Lyme Girl said...

That sounds so simple! What a great plan!