Monday, August 22, 2011

Our First Family Trip!

Yes, we have taken a family trip before but never just us, on our own. We did whatever we wanted to do. We were in charge of all of our own meals and planning the agenda. Brett and I felt so grown up! Earlier this year Brett came across Bear Creek Cabins in Kamas. He really wanted to go camping and it fit the criteria, indoors and running water! Just our style! So he booked it and we were all really excited to go. It actually ended up being 50 miles outside of Kamas, up in the Uintas at a little place called, Christmas Meadows. (Little did I know, my dad had a cabin growing up in Christmas Meadows!)

On the drive up, Brett told me to break out our traveling treats! After all, thats what they were for. I climbed in the back and said, "who wants yogurt covered raisins!?" I was being serious, they are delicious! Both boys were thrilled, and shouted, "me!" while raising their hands high in the air. While their cheeks were stuffed, Brett starred at me and said, "really?! Thats what you brought for treats!" Now what kind of wife would I be if I didn't bring peanut m&m's for my husband? Non the less, it was really funny.

It was a little rainy the day we got there... and a little chilly! Panic set in. I brought clothes for summer not realizing how far up in the mountains we really were! I had jackets and a pair of pants for both of them, it should be okay I thought. Brett on the other hand didn't bring anything longer then his short sleeve shirts. He thought he might freeze! But it ended up getting fairly warm.
We stayed in the basement of cabin #5. It had a little swing outside that the kids loved. It had a kitchen, table, living room, big tv, and leather couches. There was a bed that came out of the wall (Isaac slept there and he thought it was too cool!) a bathroom, and a big jetted tub! Isaac had a few baths in that swimming around like a fish. In the back we had a king sized bed... the boys loved it and bounced on it the second they laid eyes on it. We got there Monday and stayed until Wednesday.

As were were brining in things from the car Isaac appeared down the steps holding a frozen pizza. He's getting so clever because he announced as loud as he could, "pizza delivery!!!" 

 Dax loved swinging outside. 
Tuesday morning Brett and Isaac got up early to go fishing. Brett thought with little to no experience he would be a great fisherman! You had to pay to fish, but you had two options: $25 dollars to fish or, pay $6 per fish. I wasn't with Brett, but I guess he thought he didn't want to keep all they caught, so he opted to pay $25 dollars. (I think he learned he should have just paid per fish.) When they got back they reported on how many fish they caught. ZERO. Brett said he failed his son at fishing and Isaac told him his brother Brandon threw the string out farther. It's all about the experience, right? They still had fun though.
Isaac did throw bait into the water. He told me a floating bug didn't eat the bait on the hook, but he ate the one he threw in the water. He was too smart. Brett said it was a fish, but Isaac swears it was a floating bug. That's gotta count for something, right?
We had two 4-wheelers all day Tuesday. There were lots of little trails to go on. Brett and Isaac went on some of  them that morning and then they came back for Dax and I.

I can't believe Dax kept his helmet on. It was so big compare to his little head. He looked like a bobble head!
Being the daddy's boy he is, Dax wanted to ride with Brett most of the time. Good thing too. Brett took us on a long, bumpy, up hill 3 mile ride. Dax didn't make a peep!!!!! I can't decide if he had fun or if he was scared to death. Isaac and I had our doubts and thought we were lost, but Brett proved us wrong and led us home. Isaac was more vocal about thinking we were lost. Glad he said it! Isaac and I just sang songs while driving. It helped him stay calm and not worry about where we were.

Dax loved the steps. I think he could have walked up and down them all day. 


 We had such a pretty view from our cabin! It was so peaceful up there! 
The boys were all about finding sticks. Big ones, little ones, it didn't matter. They just wanted to throw them off the ledge. It was a little nerve wracking to see Dax get so close to throw sticks, but they boys had so much fun.




There was a pool up there. Isaac loved that and wanted to spend a lot of time in it. It was a bit chilly, but there was also a hot tub to warm up in.
Dax made a us crazy. He lives life on the edge, literally. He didn't want to be in the water, but he had to get as close to the edge as possible. He wouldn't let us hold him, he's independent like that. He just liked to run close to the pool and scare us to death.
Isaac practiced all his moves from swimming lessons this year. He does a pretty good job but when you give him a life jacket he is so confident and does everything perfect. We had brought my old life jacket and it started falling apart because it's so old. I think we need to buy the boys their own!


 Dax finally sat in the water! Success! 
We BBQ the last night there. Looking at this picture of the boys, goofing around just makes me so happy. That's how the entire trip was. They were buddies, everything was fun, we had a great time. Since we were so high up we didn't have cell phone or internet and that is refreshing! We just spent good quality time together.
At night we curled up together and watched Curious George until the kids fell asleep. I loved it. It was so fun. I love that Brett found this place for us.


 This is my favorite picture of Dax! Sticking out my tongue is how I get him to smile.
 This is my favorite picture of Isaac, such a little poser for the camera!
 As we came down Provo Canyon, we stopped at got something to eat and let the boys play at a park.
It was really fun. It even started raining and they didn't care. 
There was a pretty waterfall I wanted a picture of with the boys. Dax was hysterical that I dared stuck him on a rock to take a picture.
So once again, Dax wouldn't look at the camera and Isaac posed for me. It was a great trip!!!! I loved every minute of being with my family.
Dax did cheer up. He got to read books on the way home and they got Smurfs in their kids meals. They now love The Smurfs!

No comments: