Sunday, April 12, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear?

As my son approaches his 3rd birthday, I am beginning to wonder if the 3's are going to be harder then the "terrible two's." I woke up this morning feeling happy it was Easter Sunday. I was excited to see the sunshine, especially after a cold week. The sun has always helped me remember my Savior and what that day may have felt like after he had risen.  Going to church I was excited to hear talks on the resurrection. Unfortunately, I felt like I spent more time in the hall with my son then I did listening to the speakers. 

I have asked myself over a hundred times today, "what does Isaac hear when Brett and I talk to him?" I hear myself telling him we need to be reverent and listen in church. I think he hears ANYTHING but what we are telling him. 

If I say: "whisper"
Isaac hears: talk louder or scream if necessary. 

If I say: "we need to play with the cars quietly." 
Isaac hears: Smash them together and screech as loud as I can. (I would like to add, once these little cars used to keep him quite and entertained him the whole time. They would even kiss.)

If Brett says: "Don't kick the bench" 
Isaac hears: Kick the bench faster and harder so it makes a loud noise! 

I really don't mean to complain this much, but you see where I am going with this. Basically, I was frustrated all through sacrament meeting and felt like going home. Before Relief Society started, a young mom walked up to me and said, "you sat behind me today in Sacrament Meeting." As I quickly remembered her children sitting so still through the whole meeting all I could say to her was, "I am so sorry." She told me not to apologize. She remembers that age very well and it's hard to bring a child that age to church. She then told me, don't worry, he will grow out of it. As she left, I wanted to ask her, WHEN? But instead I sat and listened to the message that was prepared. The message was about Joseph Smith and all of his trials he went through, especially while in Liberty Jail. We were all reminded that our trials only last for so long.... I quickly turned that back to my son and the morning I had just spent with him.

I really do love him with all of my heart. I know he is little and learning to sit still and I need to have the patience for it. So I will continue working on my little games I have in-store for him, take him to church, and teach him about my love for the Savior. I want him to love Jesus and this church as much as Brett and I do. I am grateful for what the Savior has done for me and the blessings I have been given. And even though my Easter Sunday didn't go as planned, I think I learned what I needed to and had a wonderful reminder of how much my Savior loves me, how much I love him, and my family. I hope we can all keep the spirit of today always in our hearts! 

Happy Easter!

7 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, Ashley, I love that we have kids the same age so I know that I'm not alone when Emma and Isaac are going through the SAME things! I've been so frustrated with her lately, and I also wonder if 3 will be harder than 2. 2 was actually not too bad, so this 'listening wall' she has built up has totally thrown me off. We need to get together and let our darling monsters play together soon! Oh, and thank you for the reminder about trials...I needed to hear that, too. Love you!

Ashley and Brett said...

Stacy, I too am grateful that we have children the same age or I would seriously wonder about my son some days! I'm glad we have grown up together and can have this adventure together too! Glad you moved out here. Love you!

Los Alexander said...

This will make you feel better: Dallin is the only child in our ward. Only one! Nursery is just for him, and he has two teachers just for him. No other kids. No kidding. No joke.
Try to think about it, if somebody is crying, is Dallin, if somebody is being loud is Dallin, if there is a screaming child...you get the idea.
Yesterday was one of those days, people try to give me advice every sunday on how they used to teach their two years old ,40 years ago...:( not fun.
I'm sure your sacrament meeting and Isaac's nursery has more than two kids.
Feeling better my friend???. I hope so.
I'll seat in front of you guys once we are back so Isaac can kick our bench:) He is too cute! I wouldn't mind at all!
Great post Ashley!

Amber said...

At least you got to attend RS! I had to go home with a baby girl that had pooed all over her Easter Dress! So I think I'd take a 3 year old over that! At least Isaac is cute and entertaining to us during sacrament (not that the talks weren't good). :)

Heather Crozier said...

Sorry for your frustration. Kenna likes to sing songs in the middle of sacrament meeting but I figure it's cuter than her screaming. Haha. I have to bring lots books and toys to keep her quiet. I bring her a little lunch since our church is from 11-2 and she has to eat something. That keeps her quiet for a few minutes. :) Luckily there are a million other kids in the ward so I don't think too many people are bothered by her. I'm afraid of her being a sunbeam. Not sure on how she will do sitting in a class and not just playing with toys...got until January for that.

The Dansies said...

Oh Ash, I'm sorry. I think Isaac is too cute for anyone ever to be grumpy about so I'm sure no one will hold it against him. You know the old ladies scowling at you have all been there before, they've just forgotten how hard it is. At least you get a break after sacrament. Breah screamed everytime I tried to leave her in nursery! Glad you had an otherwise happy easter!

Tara said...

I am very very much on the same page as you. I just have to think to myself that it will hopefully pass one day. I have so many mom's that say they went through the same thing.
I hope you are doing well and had a great easter!
Love ya
Tara